Thursday, August 1, 2013

All sorts of fun things...

Today has been probably one of the coldest days since I have arrived into Uganda.  The thought of a crackling fire and some Russian Tea is more than an appealing thought.  It's a desire.  Instead of listening to the crackles of a fire, I am listening to the chirping of many birds outside my window.  Maybe their chirping is a way of keeping warm themselves.  I don't know. I just know one thing.  It is chilly here.  K, now that I have verbalized that, I can move on in my writing.  Instead of Russian Tea, I will think about heating up some hot chocolate.  The warmth will do me some good.  ( c  :  It's been nearly a month since I have brought my fingers to the keyboard to write an update.  It's been a VERY full month and it's hard to realize that I have been here for 7 months! Where to even begin? 
Yesterday morning as I was making my 60 second commute to work, I looked to my right and saw two oxen plowing the land directly beside my house and as I furthered myself on the commute, I spotted a goat blocking my path.  Seeing me, he made a little hop off the path and we just sorta watched each other as I walked by.  Goats are pretty benign and a common sight here.  The infrequent night commute to the clinic is slightly humorous... after the fact.  In the moment, it's shining a light on the path watching ever so closely (or not so closely) for the slithering snake.  Oh, if you could be a mosquito on the banana tree.... you would see me dancing a little as I dodge snakes that aren't even there.  But in all seriousness, this last month has been stretching, full, fun, and sweet.   I'll run you through some of the highlights of the last month and then end with heart reflections.  Here goes... 




The Neebes came to visit! 

We painted together.... 


                                                              
                                                                               Sanding down the table


                                                       
                                                                                  And the painting begins..

                                              
                                                           You best watch out Mukisa.. the brush may slip! 
         
                      Well Done Worcester Family! 

         
       The somehow finished project.... finishing touches to come

          
Well Done Little Dan
A little Volleyball with Lindley, Brian, and Sharon. 
And then there was the Nile.  Oh, was it a LOT of fun! Thank you to so many of you who highly encouraged me to go.  I was hesitant at first.... for sure thought I was going to be swallowed by a croc or bit by some crazy underwater snake.  The rapids were awesome and the beauty around me breathtaking.  Good times with Good peeps.  Good memories and Awesome scenery.  


Our last supper.  ( c :  before the Big Raft! 
The Morning of....

Getting ready to begin our journey.... 
Wait for it.... 


Wait for it.... 

And Here it is! 



There is no Burger King.... but there is "Chicken in your face" Delightful with a Coke and good company of course! 


And after a fun-filled weekend, it's back to work.  Life in the clinic continues.  We are entering the rainy season and with the rain comes malaria season.  Most individuals can be treated with oral tablets. But, for those who struggle to keep the tablets down or who have high levels of malaria, the treatment is either a shot or an IV.  IV quinine is given. It's a four hour drip.  This boy had a stubborn case of malaria.  After failed improvement on oral medications, he was started on a drip.


Yes, being here is a gift.  An opportunity to love on and to care for so many.  I am slowly learning the language (SLOWLY) and while I can only talk a little with those around me in Luganda and often (which is probably not too much of a surprise for many of you) I royally mess up what I am wanting to say.  It's an adventure.  I was going to upload a few more pictures, but the computer is refusing to upload em.  There are multiple things swirling around inside of my heart.  We are in the process of organizing and fundraising for four little girls to have life-saving surgery. Trusting in God to provide our EVERY need and THEIR every need.  Shakira has been eating her plumpy nut and her energy level has improved.  This little girl is a CHARACTER and we have become good little buddies. I don't know how much of it is because she is drawn to me or how much she likes the special peanut butter paste that I give her.  Either way, it's been neat loving on her and watching both her, her sister, and her mom warming up to those around her.  Community.  It's a simple word and yet, it's completely loaded. 
It's being free to smile when your soul is happy and to be honest when it's heavy.  It's about giving and receiving.  Carrying the load of those around you and allowing others to carry your load.  It can feel intimidating and yet, it is so freeing.  So thankful for community here and community back home.  May we all rest in the arms of our God and His immense love for each of us.  
















No comments:

Post a Comment