Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A little chicken, a knife, and dinner!

So I just wanted to share with you all a very traumatic experience of my life.  So traumatic in fact that I am surely convinced that I will need serious therapy and plenty of coca cola! ( c : Well, if that previous sentence wasn't dramatic enough... I'll show you the pictures and let them speak for themselves.  If you are into animal protection/rights... then this might be a post to avoid.  Here goes....

Doing my hair in preparation for the killing.  

In order to kill a chicken... you have to have a chicken 
And you have to have a knife. 


And you have to position the animal just right... was worried about hurting his feet and wings.  


Trying to balance myself and ensuring that the chicken wasn't in pain.  (Talk about denial!!)

trying to psych myself up to kill the little chicken.  Was so hoping there was an alternative.  

But there wasn't.  Dinner was calling!  
And so back to business..... 
And up from business... BREATHE... and prepare... What am I about to do?  The poor chicken.... 

And back to business.... And at just about this moment... the chicken made a desperate plea for life... and well, the rest is history..... absolute history..... 



I surrendered..... Handed off the knife and 

 

 ran around...... 

and while I was running around... Sam took over.  I mean, there was chicken to eat.  

I gave the chicken an empathetic throat grab.... 

while the chicken died.  




And then I rejoined just in time to.... 


pluck off the feathers.... 

I promise I was careful as I removed all those feathers.... 
 And well.... after all this drama... it was time for a coca cola.

and not just ONE coca cola.... but a whole bunch! 

And that is the story of one little chicken.  I can tell you right now that that chicken didn't taste so good that night.  I mean... as I chewed, I kept thinking of the chicken that had been VERY much alive hours earlier. And well, maybe next time.... I will be intentional about NOT being present at all during the slaughter of the chicken.  

And that is a day in my life.....  



No comments:

Post a Comment