Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Holding on, a plan, and preparing for radiation treatment #1

Ketty is sound asleep a few feet away from me.  She fell quickly asleep.  It won't be long before sleep finds me.  But, before that happens, I wanted to bring fingers to the keyboard and let you know what happened today at the doctor's appointment.  It was slated to happen at 2:30 PM, but it was just a few minutes before 5 before we actually saw him.  Ketty and I both sat and people watched, dozed, and chatted.  Our hearts anticipated, but I believe that we both had a strong peace.  Just earlier this morning, Ketty and I sat and reviewed the questions that we wanted to ask.  And we came prepared with CT scans, medical documents, and questions.  We came knowing that not only was Jesus at our side... but we also came with the prayer support of countless others.  We were not alone.  Dr. Abwao, Ketty's oncologist here in Nairobi, greeted us warmly.  He took time reviewing the paperwork, listening to us talk, and looking at her CT scans.  He was upfront and honest.  The overall sense was that he was hopeful.  Before we left, we talked about the next steps... 

His recommendations... 2 weeks of radiation to her brain followed by chemotherapy.  A month after she finishes the radiation, she will have another scan.  At that time... we will know how her body has responded to the treatment.  

A plan.  And next steps.  And continued trust in our God.  

As I often say, we don't know how the story ends.  And I would be so blunt to say.... we don't always understand the different paths that God brings us on.  BUT we do know that He is good.  That He is sovereign.  And He knows what He is doing.  And so, we pull in to Him.... and continue to walk as He leads.  He's got this and we choose to rest in that.  

This afternoon, a bit before Ketty and I saw the doctor, I came across this verse.  And I immediately thought of Ketty.   As I have had the honor to walk with her (as so many have), my own heart has been challenged in HUGE ways.  Ketty's left side is weak.... and in helping her walk, I support her from the right side.  I love the assurance that these passages bring and even the reminder that He is supporting His Ketty.... and His Kimberly... and His                 .   He's got us and with Him at our side, we do NOT need to be shaken.  Our tongues can rejoice and we can dwell in hope.  And in His presence, we can be full of gladness.  


Acts 2:25-28English Standard Version (ESV)

25 For David says concerning him,
“‘I saw the Lord always before me,
    for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
    my flesh also will dwell in hope.
27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades,
    or let your Holy One see corruption.
28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
    you will make me full of gladness with your presence.
And so, this day comes to an end.  We have been given the next steps of the journey and so we walk.... knowing that He is at our side.  


And so on that promising note, I bring my fingers to a pause and prepare to go to sleep.  Thank you to the many, many who are journeying along Ketty.  Your words of encouragement and your prayers are a gift to her.... for sure! I read her your messages.  I do need to have an email party to respond to you all.... and I will. But in the meantime, know that she hears your words and her heart is encouraged.  

More later for sure.  I feel like I could write a novel.... and maybe one day I will.  But for tonight, I'll write a few quick emails and head off to sleep.   Peaceful sleep.   

Tomorrow, Ketty will have a marking scan of her brain.  And then... after the doctor reviews the scanning, she will have her first radiation treatment.  #1 of 10.  






1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to the novel!! Thanks for the update, Kimberly : ) Love you both.

    ReplyDelete